Rick Supplee - Wednesday, July 18, 2018
Summertime, and the livin’ is … full of moving. It is estimated that more than 30 million Americans move each year and many of these moves happen in the summer. The summer can provide a more relaxed work schedule for adults and time off from school for kids. So instead of that easy summer mood from the famous Tennessee Williams song, some people are feeling the pressures of a move. We have tips to ease the stress.
3 Ways to Make Your Summer Move Easier
1) Plan Early and Be Flexible
Professional movers are busiest during the summer months so call ahead to schedule your move. If you can provide them with flexibility for the move-in date or day of the week they can try to best accommodate your needs.
2) Avoid Heat-Related Injuries
Be sure to take these precautions to avoid heat-related injuries during a summer move:
- Stay hydrated and offer water to anyone helping with your move
- Wear appropriate footwear with closed toes and adequate support, which does not include sandals and flip-flops
- Try to avoid moving during the hottest parts of the day
- Keep the air conditioning turned on in all move locations
3) Declutter Before the Move
Summer moves can be more expensive because it is a higher demand time of year. Be sure to declutter your home before a move to avoid any unnecessary time spent on items you will end up eliminating. Remember to start decluttering early on and keep these rules in mind:
- Get rid of any item you have not used in the past two years
- Collect toys and clothes that your kids have outgrown to donate to others
- Keep the size of your new home in mind when thinking of the furniture to move
We hope these tips are helpful to ease the stress of a summertime move. Remember, once the move is done you can enjoy the rest of what summer has to offer.
Rick Supplee, Owner of Teachers Moving